½ cup sugar
½ cup flour
1½ to 2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut, sliced banana, or ¼ cup cocoa powder
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Whisk together sugar and flour well in small saucepan. (This is a very important step! It ensures a smooth filling.) Add milk and whisk well.
- Heat over medium heat until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add egg yolks and boil for one additional minute to cook the eggs.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Mix by hand until butter is completely melted.
- Stir in fruit or cocoa, then pour into pie crust which has been pre-baked.
- For meringue, beat egg whites in a chilled bowl. When they are foamy, add sugar. Continue to beat.
- When they reach the soft peak stage, add cream of tartar to stabilize. Continue beating until the whites are stiff, but not dried out.
- Pour beaten egg whites over pie filling, and spread to cover the entire pie and the crust. Use the back of a spoon to create peaks on the meringue. If it’s a coconut pie, you can sprinkle additional flaked coconut over meringue.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Makes enough for one 9-inch pie.