4 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 1/3 cups warm water
½ cup melted shortening or lard
- In mixing bowl or mixer with dough hook, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder; thoroughly blend.
- Fold in shortening.
- Slowly add the water and continue blending to form a large dough ball. Knead for approximately 15 minutes, either by hand or in the mixer.
- Place the dough in a plastic bag and rest for 20 minutes.
- Remove from bag and divide dough into 3 even pieces.
- Form six 2-inch balls from each of the pieces. Roll each ball lightly in flour and flatten first by hand and then with a rolling pin into a thin round pancake, about 8 inches round.
- Heat your cooking surface (skillet or griddle top) to between 350 and 400 degrees. Place the raw tortilla on the griddle and cook until it begins to bubble up. Flip over and let cook until light brown.
- Flip one more time and cook for three to five more seconds.
- It is important to only make two turns when cooking the tortilla.
- Use in any Mexican dish.