Recipe compliments of Margaret Houy (Aunt Maggie)
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar (or 3 cups brown sugar, total)
1½ c. butter or margarine
4 beaten eggs
6 cups flour
¾ teaspoon soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar(s). Add eggs, mixing well after each one.
- Sift dry ingredients, then add to mixture.
- Mix well, then add vanilla. Chill dough thoroughly.
2½ cups chopped dates
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup chopped nuts
- Mix dates, sugar, and water, and cook for about 10 minutes until it is the consistency of a very thick paste.
- Remove from the heat and add nuts. Cool before continuing.
- Roll chilled dough on floured surface to about ¼ inch thickness.
- Spread filling over rolled dough and fold up jellyroll-style. (Mama says it’s easier to roll the dough between two sheets of waxed paper, then chill in freezer on a cookie sheet before proceeding. If you use this method, peel both pieces of waxed paper off before spreading the filling.)
- Wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Slice and bake in a 350° oven.