2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 T. milk
1/2 t. almond extract
2 jars (8 ounces each) maraschino cherries with stems, well drained
2 c. (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 T. shortening
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, milk, and extract; mix well. Knead into a large ball.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and flatten each into a 2-inch circle.
- Wrap around cherries and lightly roll in hands.
- Place with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl.
- Holding onto the stem, dip cherries into chocolate; set on waxed paper to harden.
- Store in a covered container. Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving.
- Yield: about 3 dozen.